After 26 straight hours of bargaining, the UAOSU bargaining team and OSU administration team reached tentative agreement on UAOSU’s first contract on May 28. This agreement is nearly two years, fifty-three sessions, and thousands of volunteer hours in the making.
A few highlights from UAOSU’s first contract:
- Paid parental leave amount doubled with expanded use to cover all family and medical leaves
- Bridge funding pool equivalent to 1% of recovered F&A (~$430,000 per year) beginning in 2022
- 3% merit pool for FY2020 extended to faculty below 0.50 FTE and those who moved positions within the university; retroactive salary expected to be paid out in June 2020
- New promotion pathways for Research Associates, Instructors (PAC), and Instructors (ALS) and aligned promotion pathways (including twice the promotion raise!) for Instructors (ESL)
- Shorter timeline to promotion for fixed-term faculty
- Improved job stability for fixed-term faculty, including multi-year appointments at promotion and increased notice of renewal and non-renewal
- $500 reimbursement of the visa and/or SEVIS fees of a faculty member (if not on an employer-sponsored visa) or family member
- Strong, grievable academic freedom protections
The contract is expected to be ratified by the UAOSU membership in the coming weeks.
Congratulations to the UAOSU Bargaining Team and UAOSU members who worked so hard to secure this historic agreement for their colleagues!